2020
two thousand twenty
Twenty-Twenty
Subscribe to Wayne County Life RSS post feed
Subscribe to Wayne County Life RSS comment feed
Wayne County Life on Facebook
Story & Photos by:  ROBERT STOPPER, LYONS

Winter maintenance and repair at Lock E-27 in Lyons provides a spectacle seldom seen by anyone: the lock is drained and the huge, super massive “mitre gates” (lock gates) are clearly visible from the topside catwalk down to the bottom rubber sill seal - the same type of gates used 100 years ago when the lock was constructed.

The gates are massive steel structures. At the upper end of the lock, the gates are 18 feet high, 25 feet wide and 24 inches thick. The gates are taller at the low end of the lock.  So how do the gates work? How do they seal water in or seal water out?

The operation of the actual locks is controlled by the Lockmaster in the “Operating” or “Control” Stand located directly adjacent to the locks. When a boat has entered the lock, the Lockmaster utilizes an electronic control panel and skillfully closes the locks- “not too fast and not too slow”- just right.

Each gate has a circular white oak timber post (quoin) bolted to the anchor or pivoting end of the gate. The white oak timber post (quoin) swings on a pivot mounted in the lock floor, and the top of the timber post (quoin) is attached to the lock wall with two adjustable anchor arms.

The Lockmaster swings the gates toward each other and eventually the flow of water into the lock is stopped. The space between the two gates is sealed, and the space at the bottom of the gates is sealed. How does it happen?

Lock E-27 utilizes “mitre” gates. The mitre gates close at a slight angle pointed upstream. The seal between the two gates is formed when the massive white oak timbers bolted to the inside edge of the gates are forced together. The seal at the bottom of the gates is formed when the gate squishes a rubber seal against a ledge called “the miter gate sill” (Think “door sill”). The pressure of a minimum 12 feet of water against the gates solidifies the seal or lock.

Once the gates have been closed, the Lockmaster moves to the gates at the opposite end of the lock, enters his Operating Stand with all the controls, and continues the historical saga which officially began on May 15, 1918- proudly locking boats through Lock E-27 on the Western Erie Canal in Lyons, New York, Milepost 220.99.

This article was part 3 of 3.

(NYS Canal Section 6 Superintendent Dan Craine and Lock E-27 Supervisor John Albanese assisted with information for this series).

Share:

You can make a comment, or trackback from your own site.

38 Comments to "Lock E-27 From the Bottom Up ~ Part III "

1. Unknown Said,

I think I have really come on the right place for getting the perfect info.
    locksmith Dallas TX

Posted on Mon Sep 17, 03:47:00 AM EDT

2. Unknown Said,

Your write-ups are far more than wow!
    locksmith plano

Posted on Tue Sep 18, 02:36:00 AM EDT

3. Anonymous Said,

I was searching for many blogs site and now finally I have got this cool place with lots of information.
    locksmith Dallas

Posted on Thu Oct 11, 05:56:00 AM EDT

4. Anonymous Said,

Your articles and blogs are inspirational.
    Dallas locksmith

Posted on Thu Oct 11, 05:56:00 AM EDT

5. Anonymous Said,

Thankfulness to my dad who informed me relating to this blog, this website is really amazing.
    locksmith plano tx

Posted on Thu Oct 11, 06:24:00 AM EDT

6. lizza kim Said,

I sent your articles links to all my contacts and they all adore it including me.low rate locksmith 91913

Posted on Sat Nov 24, 05:49:00 AM EST

7. gunardi Said,

You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
    Tangki Panel

Posted on Mon Dec 24, 07:15:00 AM EST

8. Unknown Said,

Great article! I wrote similar articles for Locksmith Portland

Posted on Thu Dec 27, 09:30:00 PM EST

9. Kevin Dellinger Said,

Wow, this article is fastidious, my sister is analyzing such things, thus I am going to convey her. Next page: How To Learn To Lock Files In 1 Hour.

Posted on Fri Jan 25, 08:27:00 AM EST

10. Kevin Dellinger Said,

Hi, I think that I saw you visited my blog so I got here to go back the favor?. I'm attempting to in finding issues to improve my website! I assume it's good enough to make use of some of your ideas!! This post: How To Learn To Lock Files In 1 Hour.

Posted on Tue Mar 05, 08:34:00 AM EST

11. Eleanor Eiland Said,

I would be supportive on all your articles and blogs as a result of they are simply up to the mark.
    locksmith near me

Posted on Mon Apr 22, 02:23:00 AM EDT

12. fortnite Said,

infant clothing should be as comfy as possible because infants can really nag if they have bad clothing.. 24/7 emergency locksmith

Posted on Mon Nov 11, 10:01:00 AM EST

13. Unknown Said,

It’s exhausting to find educated people on this topic, however you sound like you recognize what you’re speaking about! Thanks start or join

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 06:00:00 AM EST

14. Unknown Said,

I’d must talk with you here. Which is not something I do! I love to reading a post that may make people feel. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment! site data

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 07:51:00 AM EST

15. Unknown Said,

of course cruise ships are expensive but of course the trip is very nice“ How to Become an FBI Agent

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:28:00 PM EST

16. Unknown Said,

have already been following your site for several days. absolutely love what you posted. btw i will be conducting a study relating to this topic. do you know other great websites or maybe forums in which I can get more information? thanks in advance. Stimulus Generalization

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:28:00 PM EST

17. Unknown Said,

There is noticeably big money comprehend this. I assume you made particular nice points in features also. Ancient Chinese food

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:29:00 PM EST

18. Unknown Said,

Wow I just adore her! She is so beautiful on top of being a really good actress. I don’t think the show V is all that good, but I watch it anyway just so I can see Morena Baccarin. And I don’t know if you’ve ever seen her do an interview but she is also rather funny and it seems so natural for her. I personally never even heard of her before The V, now I’ll watch anything she’s on. Derivative of Tangent

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:29:00 PM EST

19. Unknown Said,

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your site content. This content has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your internet site and maintain checking for first time details. Promethean board

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:29:00 PM EST

20. Unknown Said,

Excellent read. I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. He just bought me lunch as I found it for him! So let me rephrase: Thanx for lunch! Combine Like Terms Calculator

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:29:00 PM EST

21. Unknown Said,

There are a handful of fascinating points on time in this post but I do not determine if them all center to heart. There’s some validity but I am going to take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks therefore we want far more! Added onto FeedBurner too What is the line of best fit

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:30:00 PM EST

22. Unknown Said,

Hiya, I just hopped over for your web site by way of StumbleUpon. Not something I might typically learn, but I liked your emotions none the less. Thank you for making something value reading. Thermite Reaction

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:30:00 PM EST

23. Unknown Said,

Thanks for your wonderful post! It has long been very helpful. I hope that you’ll continue sharing your wisdom with us. Electric Field between Two Plates

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 11:30:00 PM EST

24. jackman10 Said,

Once again, light color tones make the room looks bigger and brighter. We suggest you pick colors like tans, light grays and light blues for the flooring of a smaller bathroom. By applying these light colors, together with the colors on the walls, your bathroom will appear bigger and roomier. A word to you: keep the light color flooring clean. Casino Online

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 12:08:00 PM EST

25. jackman10 Said,

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, might check this… IE still is the marketplace chief and a large part of folks will miss your wonderful writing due to this problem. Barnes Vor-Tx 7mm Remington Magnum 160gr TSX BT 500 ROUNDS

Posted on Fri Mar 04, 06:02:00 AM EST

26. robinjack Said,

Taylor Lautner Workout Routine… By the way you might want to check out this cool site I found…… 마사지

Posted on Sat Mar 26, 05:03:00 PM EDT

27. robinjack Said,

While you’re any of the lucky enough choices, it comes evidently, while capture the fancy of the particular coveted by ly folks other useful you you meet may possibly well have hard times this particular problem. pre owned awnings 스웨디시

Posted on Sat Mar 26, 05:03:00 PM EDT

28. ASAF Said,

Can I simply say what a reduction to seek out somebody who actually is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the best way to bring an issue to gentle and make it important. Extra individuals have to read this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you positively have the gift. global media outreach

Posted on Wed Mar 30, 12:30:00 AM EDT

29. ASAF Said,

Thnx for sharing that link but unluckily it appears to be down? Anybody have a mirror? https://goodcrypto.app/how-to-trade-with-fibonacci-retracement-in-crypto-a-complete-guide-by-good-crypto/

Posted on Wed Mar 30, 06:44:00 AM EDT

30. jackman10 Said,

Hi there! Nice stuff, please do tell me when you finally post something like this! 셔츠룸

Posted on Sat Apr 02, 03:28:00 AM EDT

31. yousuf Said,

I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were very beneficial very useful educationspike

Posted on Sat Apr 02, 08:54:00 AM EDT

32. robinjack Said,

We are in dire straits with all the real-world challenges we so profoundly face and the self-defeating embrace of the latest trend of anti-intellectualism, along with the embrace of religion's morally bankrupt support of the most morally bankrupt, criminally corrupt 'president'. With most of our country overrun by a popular but devastating trend towards extreme narcissism on a dangerously stupid level in which the majority of our mentally vulnerable population can't resist being drawn into and allowed to be manipulated by morally bankrupt, corrupt, conniving, con thugs in the gop which is doing its best to destroy any chance of ever improving the human condition. This 'self-defeating mode of representation' is on course to become the end of the American 'experiment' by allowing stupid to be an option. One thing is for certain... The quality of the human condition will continue to deteriorate exponentiall. try this out

Posted on Wed Apr 06, 04:47:00 PM EDT

33. robinjack Said,

E-commerce sites simply mean shopping through the internet. The history of online shopping dates back some two decades ago in 1991 when commercial use was allowed on the internet. At the beginning, the term was used only for the implementation of the electronic commercial dealings via EFT & EDI. Later the coinage was changed in the presently used meaning, i.e. the e-commerce websites or the websites that deal with the retailed products or services. Grapefruit

Posted on Wed Apr 06, 04:47:00 PM EDT

34. jackman10 Said,

“Xanax (Alprazolam) is used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Alprazolam is in a class of “ Compensate for the loss in the blast game

Posted on Fri Apr 08, 08:19:00 AM EDT

35. robinjack Said,

The internet can make it simplier and easier than at any time to acquire foods distribution providers.  Simply because they are on-line, they are easy for you to learn. You can shop for what you desire suitable from your unique personal computer. It is less complicated than actually to uncover food suppliers for Japanese cooking, this includes individuals that specialize in meals these kinds of as kombu. This kelp is harvested in Japan and is important for a lot of Japanese dishes. If you are arranging on cooking Japanese foods, you will want to be specified that you use the freshest ingredients.  강남가라오케

Posted on Mon Apr 11, 04:15:00 PM EDT

36. jackman10 Said,

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I take pleasure in reading a submit that will make folks think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to remark! 강남셔츠룸

Posted on Thu Apr 21, 02:49:00 PM EDT

37. yousuf Said,

I’m impressed, I must say. Genuinely rarely do you encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you may have hit the nail about the head. Your concept is outstanding; ab muscles something that too few people are speaking intelligently about. I’m delighted i found this in my hunt for something about it. unique auto mag

Posted on Mon Apr 25, 05:49:00 AM EDT

38. jackman10 Said,

It is thought that injectable steroids have lesser adverse effects compare to oral drugs due to the 17aMethyl functional group. Testacyp 100 mg

Posted on Fri May 06, 09:56:00 AM EDT